Cooking is a tender art. It is not just putting food on a platter; rather, it is engaging greater senses of oneself into preparing food that is not just healthy but creatively aesthetic. The subtle aroma of the spices is calming and therapeutic in nature. You can connect with people on a deeper level through cooking and food. The simplest way to show love and care towards someone is by cooking for them. As you might’ve guessed, no wonder food has united people across different cultures.
Every household has had its own secret recipes down the lane. This secret food recipe is special in many ways.
Mix Vegetable Biryani
Biryani is a way of cooking rice by arranging it in the form of layers of fried meat or vegetables. What is unique to every biryani is the delicate aroma of the spices. The secret of biryani lies in the way of mixing the flavor of spices in the rice.
- Basmati Rice (two cups)
- Green chili
- An uncrushed mixture of spices (bay leaves, black pepper, black cardamom, black cumin seeds, cinnamon, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, mace, nutmeg, stone flower, star anise, and poppy seeds)
- Cumin seed
- Black pepper
- Dried Red chili
- In a deep pot containing boiling water, add the whole mixture of spices wrapped in a piece of muslin cloth and let it come to a boil.
- After the water with the spices has come to a boil, remove the spices. This water will be used for making the curry and for boiling the rice.
- In a separate pan, add two tablespoons of ghee and let it heat properly. Quickly add sliced onions and cook them until they turn golden brown. Fried onions can add a crispy touch to your biryani.
- Add vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, and radish. Cook them until soft. Sauté the vegetables in ghee until they develop crispy brown edges. Then, strain the vegetables.
- Wash the basmati rice 2-3 times or until the water runs clear. Add the rice to the spiced water and partially boil the rice. This will ensure the beautiful texture of the biryani. Then, strain the rice.
A Little Further On The Method
- Now in another pan, roast the uncrushed mixture of spices. Grind this mixture in a mixer. Your homemade garam masala is ready!
- In a deep trough, heat four tablespoons of ghee and add dried red chili followed by an uncrushed mixture of spices. Then add the fried vegetables and tomatoes into this vessel.
- In this mixture, add salt (as per taste), red chili powder, pepper, homemade garam masala powder, and one cup of curd.
- Cook this mixture for a few minutes. Then, take out this mixture in a container leaving some amount in the vessel.
- Take a deep vessel. Oil its base and put a layer of the vegetable curry. Then add a layer of the rice followed by a curry. Make several such layers.
- On the topmost layer, add splashes of water and ghee. Sprinkle fried onions. Make some holes in the layers by using the back of a spoon to allow passage of steam.
- Now, put the lid on the vessel tightly and seal the edges with wheat flour dough.
- Let the biryani cook for around 10 to 15 minutes. Then, serve hot with raita or salad.
There you have it! A delicious recipe for biryani is capable of enlightening and awakening the senses, incredibly.